Published October 2016
Here are instructions on how to apply for a Copper Basin community subsistence hunting (CHS) permit.
- Before you apply for your permit, call Ms. Stickwan at (907) 822-3476 to get moose and caribou permit numbers.
- Participants may apply online in mid-October 2016 at www.adfg.alaska.gov.
- Click on the “Subsistence” tab (top of the page, fourth tab to the left), scroll down to “Regulations and Permits” (middle of the page) then click “Permits for Cultural and Subsistence Harvest (Hunting)” under “Cultural and Subsistence Harvest.” Then click an application option under “Community Subsistence Harvest and Permit Conditions.”
- Unit 13 moose hunting season is August 20-September 20, 2017.
- Unit 11 moose-hunting season and Unit 13 caribou-hunting season remain the same as previous years.
- While moose and caribou surveys are voluntary, Ahtna, Inc. is asking households to fill out a moose and caribou household survey in 2016 and 2017. Household moose and caribou survey forms can be downloaded at http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/ index.cfm?adfg=huntlicense.cultural.
- CSH head-of-household and households survey forms will also be emailed from ADFG to those who have provided an email address on last year’s moose and caribou application.
- Please return filled-out moose and caribou survey forms to:
Email To: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mail to: Ahtna, Inc., PO 649, Glennallen, AK 99588
- Surveys are important as they help to determine bag limits, subsistence hunts customary and traditional use of species, rural and non-rural determination areas, and amounts necessary for subsistence uses, etc.
- Hunters are required to have a CSH permit and an “any bull” moose locking tag in their possession to harvest a moose that does not meet general season antler restrictions, and must affix the “any-bull” moose locking tag to the main beam of one antler or lower jaw immediately after harvest.
Contact your village administrator for questions on the distribution of 2016-2017 locking tags.
- Cheeshna Tribal Council (907) 822-3503
- Chitina Traditional Village Council (907) 823-2215
- Gakona Village Council (907) 822-5777
- Gulkana Village Council (907) 822-3746
- Mentasta Traditional Council (907) 291-2319
- Native Village of Cantwell (907) 768-2591
- Native Village of Kluti-Kaah (907) 822-5541
- Native Village of Tazlina (907) 822-4375